ºÚÁÏÉç

Community groups welcome emergency ºÚÁÏÉç support for the third sector

Local organisations have welcomed moves to provide greater support to the third sector in Edinburgh.

Following the launch of emergency funding and an extensive review of how the city works with not-for-profit groups to prevent poverty, ºÚÁÏÉçlors heard how moves to bring stability to the sector are being well received.

Over £3 million has been injected by the ºÚÁÏÉç towards at risk groups this year, with an extra £284,192 in  agreed by elected members at a full ºÚÁÏÉç meeting today (Thursday 28 August).

The one-off emergency support has been provided to third sector organisations in Edinburgh who are working to end poverty in the city but who have been faced with growing financial challenges. The  will help small and medium-sized charities this winter, with 31 organisations agreed to receive up to £10,000 each towards running costs.

With the ºÚÁÏÉç moving towards , extensive  has also taken place - including a 14-week consultation to gather experiences and concerns of organisations in Edinburgh.

Involving over 239 workers from at least 100 organisations, this engagement will shape future opportunities to better collaborate and support the third sector, with the aim of helping the city’s most vulnerable and preventing inequality.

In deputations presented to members of the Policy and Sustainability Committee last week (Tuesday 19 August), work was welcomed by groups including Edinburgh Community Food, NESSie (North Edinburgh Support Services consortium), Feniks and the Cyrenians. Feedback has been strongly positive, recognising the speed and efficiency of the support the ºÚÁÏÉç has provided.

Benjamin Napier, speaking on behalf of the Third Sector Reference Group, said:

“I’d like to give my thanks to ºÚÁÏÉç officers for their excellent role working very effectively with the third sector to make sure funding gets out quickly. There has been a diligent approach to how we work together and the key now is to look at the next stages of funding.”

Ewan Aitken, CEO of Cyrenians, said:

“It’s good to see a problem turned into an opportunity by the ºÚÁÏÉç. We have strong communities and we need to be prevention-led. We need reform and a long-term approach to supporting charities in the city. I hope the ºÚÁÏÉç can be bold, take risks and focus on anchor organisations to make this good work transformative.”

ºÚÁÏÉç Leader, Jane Meagher, said:

“The £3 million we’ve provided in emergency funding has been vital at a time when the cost of living is high. This final allocation of funding will support even more projects, from advice for young parents to help with clothes and funeral costs.

“Edinburgh’s third sector sits at the heart of our work to tackle poverty, but it is an incredibly difficult time for community groups in Scotland. The engagement we’ve now carried out reveals many organisations are in a precarious position as they experience changes to funding and face greater demand for their services.

“It has never been more important to reset the relationship between the public and third sectors and I’m proud of the work we’ve carried out to truly listen to and learn from those involved, so that we can work to get it right. We need to improve how we work together to prevent poverty in our city, and I’m grateful to the hundreds of third sector workers who have spoken to us.”

Published: August 28th 2025